Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Spring Break Arizona Style


So me and the 5 kids (yes I took ALL 5 of my kids on a 12 hr. road trip by myself) set off to Arizona last week to spend Spring Break with my sista Emily and her family. I had never driven to AZ to see her before and my kids were needing some culture and recreation. The weather was just what the Dr. ordered and it sounded like we got out of Utah just in time.

We went to a really fun Desert Museum & took in the sights at Old Tuscon Studios which the kids absolutely loved. Brigg got a camping trip in with Caleb's Scout Troop & the girls had many a drama episodes. We made the visit to the Cactus nursery where we became the proud owners of 10 new cactus. We also managed to see the Shelton Family who came down from Central, AZ. I paid way too much for my kids to see the 3-D Monsters v. Aliens. Hayden won the local Marana dance contest (maybe he will blog about it.) We had strep throat (Hayden), the case of the stomach flu (Brigg), and a very clogged toilet episode (Tucker). We also got to see most of the Matson kids play baseball. I even got to go see BFF's hometown/ghetto. (I understand where you're coming from now Anna.)

I'm so glad we went and really appreciate the Matsons putting up with us. I'll make it up to them this summer when they come to stay with us for a couple of weeks.

Now if I can just get through the next extremely busy 6 weeks I will have a nice break coming up.

15 comments:

Hazel said...

Looks like a good time. And you got out of there just in time. I bet it is dreadfully hot there now.

Cristin said...

First of all, your totally brave and now my hero for taking all 5 kids on a road trip. haha Sounds like it was totally worth it and I'm sure pretty nice to be out of the Utah weather.

Memzy said...

Yup. That driving with kids by yourself for more than 4 hours won't be happening with me. I'm trying to stay sane and stuff.

Glad you gize had fun!

Memzy said...

And so many sick kids too!

Anonymous said...

Sounds fun!

ManicMandee said...

Wait, Emily isn't going to stay with ME this Summer? You are a sister hog.
I can't believe you bought that many more cacti too. You are loving those aren't you?
I missed you!

Kris said...

So fun to spend a week with your sister and all the kids with their cousins. Looks like it was a blast. I love how you guys see each other so often. That's so cool. Love the picture of the girls. So cute.

Markie23 said...

You lived to blog about it. That's what's important. Whatcha gonna do in 6 weeks?

Emily said...

It was so great having you guys here. Thank you so much for coming and making memories with us.

See you in a week!

E said...

Glad you had fun! Did you have the kids babysit and go out a few nights? I hope so. ;)

Mary said...

Taking a trip to Arizona with 5 kids in the car and no hubby around to help sounds familiar. So does the throwing up and stopped up toilets. I remember several of those trips when mom and dad lived in Tempe and we lived in Vegas. Glad you had fun and lived to tell about it.

Any speeding tickets to report? I usually got one of those. The louder the kids were, the harder I pushed down in the gas pedal!

jenn said...

Minus the sick kids {what a bummer!} it sounds like you had a great trip.

I can't tell you how brave and ridiculously cool I think you are for being able to take all of your kids on a road trip by yourself. The very thought of it makes me want to curl up in the corner and cry. You are my hero.

Vegas Family said...

Sounds like your a brave woman to drive that far. Glad you had fun despite the clogged toilets and flu bug. Great memories right!

Elizabeth Bailey Waite said...

It was great to see your pictures! I'm glad you had a great time in spite of the trials. Is five kids a lot?

Pearl Girl said...

I've always wished I could be an honorary Waite Sister. So thanks for letting me crash the party. Tell Manic Mandee thanks too. can't waite to see ya.(I'm such a dork)