Sunday, May 25, 2008

My Journey to my 1st 5K


I am dedicating this post to 3 very special people who I hope
won't hate me for putting there pictures up on my blog.
I'll start with my brother Sherod who started running a few years back and got the dialog started. I kept telling him there was NO way I could ever run. I was convinced that I would never have the stamina. strength, or determination to even run to the mailbox and back. I had NEVER run, even a 1/4 mile, in my life and truly felt that it was just an unattainable goal to set for myself. About a year ago my younger and more beautiful sister Amanda ran her first marathon. I was just so impressed and amazed at what she was able to do. It got me thinking just a little bit about running. It wasn't until I couldn't fit into my clothes and I started to realize what a lazy bum I was when it came to exercising that I really started to consider trying to run...a little. My good friend Anna D. in the ward had talked to me in the past about this Couch to 5K
program she had done. She FINALLY convinced me to give it a try. At the end of February we started. At first I thought there was NO way I was going to be able to do it. It only started out with 60 sec. runs. but I was dying. Each week we bumped it up. When I ran my first mile I was so proud of myself. It was such an amazing accomplishment. 2 weeks ago I ran my very 1st 3 miles without stopping. I can't remember the last time I was so proud of myself. I have to truly thank and give credit to those 3 people Sherod, Amanda, & Anna D. for giving me the encouragement and support I needed to make it. I have the best running partner ever and because of her I love to run. In a week I am going to be running in my very first 5k race in California with my brother and his wife. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. This has been the first time I have ever done something that I truly felt was not possible. Stay tune for my report on the race.

Disclaimer: Anna D.'s picture doesn't do her any justice. She looks so much better now since she has been dieting and running with yours truly.

15 comments:

Memzy said...

Oh yeeeah!!! Bring it on Anna. You are gonna kick my butt! And lets be clear about this--I will be taking pictures and posting about the race.

Congrats. You have no idea how proud Sherod is of you.

Shed said...

I am so proud of you. You are going to do great at the 5k. Can't wait to see you guys next week. Kick 'em!

Emily said...

I'm so proud!!! I love that you set a goal and are accomplishing it. You're awesome. I hope to be waiting at that finish line!

Cristin said...

YAY! that's awesome! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Good Luck!!!!!

homegirl said...

Anna, give me your email and I will email you the recipe.

Kati said...

You and Anna D are both AMAZING! I am seriously so proud of both of you and you BOTH are looking FANTASTIC! Can't wait for the update!
Good luck!

E said...

Good for you! Every time Anthony trains for a marathon, I think I should start running with him. He makes it look so easy! Yeah, it's not. Good luck! It sounds like you're gonna do great!

The Graffs said...

Hey Anna, good to hear from you and see pictures of your darling children. Good luck with your run. It gets easier the more you do it. It's a good stress releaser for me. You'll do great!!!! How's Utah? Kim Graff

Kris said...

You are inspiring to get working on my exercise program. You'll do a fantastic job at the 5K. Good Luck!

TimW8 said...

So what you're telling me is there's a chance. I HATE running. The only running I do is chasing the ice cream man down the street. But maybe I'll join you guys and show you how to start cold turkey.

Unknown said...

You go girl!!! Be sure to tell us how the race goes!

SAS said...

Good luck runner girl! I keep thinking about, I have dreams about it all the time, and I even have a great new pair of running shoes in the closet (2 mo. old)--does that count for anything? Now if I could just get my lazy butt up!!!

jenn said...

Way to go! I'm so impressed. Someday maybe I'll grow up to be just like you and Anna. =)

Anna D. said...

Hey! Thanks for the blog and thanks for the disclaimer. Really really bad pic. I'll try to see if I can get you a better one. I'm so proud of you! Go Team Anna! Your so going to kick my trash when you get back!

Lynt said...

You're my totaly inspiration! I'm going to start running now just because of you! Thanks! I totally needed a boost! You're the best!