Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My Man Child



"Man Child" is what I have been calling this kid lately. He no longer can shop in the "Boys" section at Old Navy and he is sporting a real light "Pedro" (you know when they start to grow the beginnings of a mustache.) I can't believe he is 14 and that I am old enough to have a child of his age. I can so vividly remember being 14 myself, it just doesn't seem right. Anyhow Brigg has made it to the ripe old age of 14 and here are 14 things I think you should know about him.

1. Being the oldest of 5 he is a very responsible boy. He may be slow and forgetful but for the most part very responsible.

2. He knows who he is and what he wants to be someday. At a very young age he decided he wanted to be a Paleontologist. Most boys grow out of that right? Not Brigg, he's pretty sure that's what he's going to be.

3. He is an athlete. He has been his entire walking life and he's good! Anyone who knows him knows of the numerous sporting accomplishments he has achieved in his short 14 years of life...and counting.

4. He takes things very serious. Although he has a very good sense of humor and loves to play jokes on everyone, for the most part he is a very serious boy/young man.

5. He is a GREAT student. He always has been and has goals of continuing that through High School. He plans on taking as many Honors/AP classes as he can next year (He'll be a FRESHMAN!)

6. He enjoys his computer time which makes it easy for me when I need to bribe, threaten, or punish him.

7. He can be painfully shy. That is why I have plans of dropping him off at his 1st Stake Dance and telling him he has a Youth meeting he has to go to. He would NEVER ask to go to a dance on his own.

8. Even though he is painfully shy he has a lot of friends and people who look up to him. He would never admit it but I think he is secretly a BMOC. (BigManOnCampus)

9. He takes his church assignments and callings very serious and honors his Priesthood.

10. He loves to sleep in. It has been a struggle the past year to get that boy out of bed. That was when I new he was really turning into a "Man Child".

11. He is 1 merit badge away from becoming an Eagle Scout. That will be the best day of my life. 1 down and 3 to go.

12. He can save money like nobody's business. For the past 3 years he has been saving almost every dime he earns or receives for a gift. I think he is well over $600. He says he is going to buy a car when he turns 16. I think he will.

13. He doesn't like to talk to or about GIRLS, and for now that's OK with me.

14. His Dad and I love him and are so proud of the Young Man he is turning into. Happy Birthday Brigg!

9 comments:

ManicMandee said...

Happy Birthday Brigg.
Anna you have raised awesome kids. I am so proud.
And I am really liking #7. My lips are sealed. Can't wait to hear about that.

Elder Jack Anderson said...

I have several Beehives and MiaMaids (and probably even some Laurels) here in CO that would have a serious crush on that kid. SRS crush.

Memzy said...

14!!!! What?! UNpossible.

Hazel said...

I am not completely convinced that you are old enough to have a 14 year old. And so handsome. You can be painfully shy and big man on campus when you are handsome.

homegirl said...

He's cute!!

Emily said...

Happy Birthday to my handsome and talented nephew! I love you Brigg!

E said...

Happy Birthday Brigg! He's a very handsome young man, and if you drop him off at a stake dance against his will, he will never forgive you.

Lynt said...

I LOVE BRIGG! I know, I make him very uncomfortable, but please remind him that it's only because I dig him so much! I have an update for you. Very interesting. So, call me. It'll be well worth the time! Love ya!

jenn said...

Happy Birthday, Brigg! Sounds like you and Trent have raised a wonderful boy. You should be proud.