Saturday, February 9, 2008

I Feel Like a Bad Mom This Week...

This week I have felt like a bad mom, maybe because I have been. Sunday Tucker killed the 3 goldfish we bought him the day before. He kept asking "If I kill these fish will you buy me a big fish?" I couldn't seem to get it through to him that if he would just take care of the fish he had now he might have big fish later. He kept wanting to hold them and "pet" them. I was getting so fustrated I just gave up and let him do whatever. The result...







That's not even everything. When I was driving to pick up Hayden at school yesterday I didn't have Tucker buckled in his car seat and he fell out of his seat and shoved a cap of a pin up the roof of his mouth. Blood. Bad Mom!

Side Note & Pic:

He looks so cute in this "missionary suit" he likes to wear (thanks Uncle Sam.)






Blythe had the worst week of her life and I feel totally responsible. Tuesday she had her thumbsucking appliance put in. We have been trying for years to break her of this habit and I have had no sucess at all. I felt that at 6 yeas old and in Kindregarten now, she had to be broken of the habit. After everything I looked into and researched, this appliance seemed the only real solution. She has been miserable this week and on the way home from the dentist she was already saying she didn't want to go to school because she "sounded like a dork." For the first few days she had to get used to talking with the appliance in her mouth. Today she sounds fine, but I felt so bad. When she's looking at you, you can't even tell she has it in. It's been 5 days and she hasn't sucked her thumb, she couldn't even if she wanted to anyway. She hates it though and asks all the time when she gets to have it out. Hopefully in a couple months we'll feel confident enough that she has broken the habit. I hope I have done the right thing. To make me an even worse Mom I told her I wouldn't talk about it on my blog. Bad Mom!


That's not even everything. I forgot about her Parent/Teacher conf. this week. What kind of Mom forgets about her kids PTC? For the record though she's doing great. She's at the highest level of reading they can actually give a kindergardner without invalidating 1st grade, whatever that means. But I can't even take credit for that. She's a smarty pants.







Hayden's science fair project was due Friday and after weeks of working on it he finally decided Thurs. to sit and write his written report. After complaining to me about how he didn't "understand" or didn't "know what to do" I finally lost it with him and yelled at him LOUD. I was so tired of him and the science project that I had done a lot of already. I sent him to bed early and then proceeded to feel like a horrible mother, which I was. The next morning I begged for his forgiveness and made a renewed commitment to not raise my voice like that again (for the hundreth time.)

Next week is Valentines week and I am hoping to show my family more love and patience. I get to redeem myself a little. I'm doing Hayden's class party and sending treats with the other kids for there parties. That makes up for it a little, right? I'm also going to try really hard not to watch T.V. until me kids are done with there projects for the evening or in bed. I am realizing how irritated I get when they are talking to me or asking questions while I am watching T.V. I had to say that out loud so I would actually try and do it. Okay, I'm finished now.

20 comments:

Jessica said...

I love you, Anna. Thanks for sharing. BTW your blog looks great.
FYI: The appliance sounds like a great idea-from a recovered thumb sucker. I did it way too long and had a couple years in braces. She will love you and forgive you (I got the gross paint on my thumbs). Either that or you can contribute more to the therapy fund:) I laughed the whole time I was reading your post. Love, Jess

Eliza said...

I am a graduate of the appliance. I got mine when I was 8 talk about waiting a little too long... Well It broke me of the habit but not in time to avoid the years in braces, retainers and head gear. I am sure she will be fine and grateful. I think I can beat the fish thing. We had a hamster on Sunday and Monday it was no where to be found. I keep expecting to smell something funky like a dead hamster carcass but nothing yet. Go out with the girls and get a nice tall diet Dr. Pepper. It always works for me. :)

Vegas Family said...

I have been thinking of having that same appliance placed in Jack's mouth. I can't seem to break him of his thumbsucking habit either. It almost seems like th older he gets that more does it. I need to get some details from you about that one. I struggle if it's the right thing to do also. I think you did right and I may follow your example.

Pearl Girl said...

Awww, I am sorry you've had a bad week, but if probably means that your an awesome mom. I know that sounds wierd, but we all have those phases, but at least you care and you want to fix it. I love the fish story, and just hang in there with Blythe. Just think how much she'll thank you later.
p.s. your blog looks very cute.

Vegas Family said...

I wanted to also say that Tucker looks so dashing in that suit! Little men in suits are so cute.

I see the cute photo of Blythe with her head in her knees after getting her appliance and I it looks so sad.

Please keep us updated on poor little Blythe and how she adapts during this difficutlt time. My thoughts are with her.

eekareek said...

I don't think you sound like a bad mom at all. That sounds like my typical week. Your kids are so freakin cute. I love their hair and Blythe is the funniest girl ever. Morgan loves your boys and wants Teddy to be athletic like them. He even made him start doing push ups and practicing with a football to have him catch up with Tucker.

Memzy said...

1. Killing goldfish is a rite of passage. Embrace it.
2.Sue the pen cap company. Doyee, it's their fault.
3.Tell Bythe "kindygarden braces" are toadally "IN" here in Cali and that only the coolest of girls wears them.
4.The mom who forgets about their kids parent/teacher conference is the one who has other kids and loved ones to take care of too. Or maybe she's the one who decided she had an extra hour without anything to do and went to blow a gift card at Target (that may or may not be me but I can't confirm).
5."Yelling happens." I think Forrest Gump coined that one and they even have it on t-shirts.

Emily said...

You are def. NOT a bad Mom. The fact that you even let Tucker get a fish to begin with proves that and the fact that you don't want Blythe to have buck teeth also proves that. Now, putting that suit on Tucker? That's another story...

Kati said...

You are not a bad mom. You are a very good mom.
It totally bugs me the way they test these kids. Why wouldn't they test them higher so we know what books they are supposed to be reading! It drives me crazy!
As far as the gold fish goes...This will make you feel better.

I flushed Jackson's fish from scouts down the toilet the other day. Alive. I just couldn't stand him anymore. There...how is that for a BAD mom?

I didn't even notice Blythe's thing. Tell her Kati said she is darling and I love her.

Hang in there. This week will be better.
Kati

jenn said...

So you don't feel like a bad mom EVERY week? Shoot. I was hoping all Mom's feel like a terrible Mom EVERY week like I do! =)

You are not a bad Mom. We do our best, and sometimes dead fish and thumb-sucking appliances are the best we can do. Plus, there's always next week, right?

Or maybe we should just meet for lunch and be bad Mom's together.

Unknown said...

I am so glad other moms yell to loud at their kids and then have to ask for forgiveness. It makes me feel normal.
You are a great mom! You have smart funny kids, we know that didn't come from Trent (he he just kidding trent!!!)
I hate science fair projects so much!! I have also forgotten a PTC before. It'a all good!

I think I have too many kids!!

Christina

Anna D. said...

Aggh I hate those weeks and believe me we all go through the same struggles. I'm glad that you asked me about my blog. I've been meaning to get your email...but you know how that goes. Mom Brain. I hope this week goes better for you...I'll see you sometime soon for V.T.
Anna D.

E said...

Ah, I've had many weeks like this.

I sucked my fingers until I was almost nine (though I called it "nibbling," and would also rub soft fabric between my fingers--preferably my parent's worn garment tops). It was very hard to quit, but I really wanted to. I remember being very embarrassed about it, but, like any addiction, it wasn't easy to stop. I finally had Sara sleep on top of my finger-sucking arm so I could get through the night without sucking my fingers. I woke up with no feeling in my arm, but it was enough to break the addiction.

"The appliance" probably would have bothered me, as I was very sensitive about my parents trying to get me to stop sucking my fingers (they tried lots of things), but I would have gotten over it and eventually appreciated the help. Did I mention I wore braces for almost four years?

Hot Pants said...

TV totally makes me yell at the kids. I hate it when I have to rewind my show because some kid was asking me something during a critical moment in the program. What's really sad is when you yell, and they don't even flinch. Like they are so used to it, that they don't even notice you are doing it anymore.

Shed said...

TV is way more important than your kids. Next time throw in a kick to the face if they interrupt.

Crazycozartclan said...

Such a funny post. I blame shanna for giving us the fish bowls in the first place. (Dylan's fish is almost dead too I have forgotten to feed it for days.) My sister and I have a pact that we will repeat "I will not yell at my kids" every morning and throughout the day. I would love to say that it works but I still do it. Hang in there. Just don't bring out the moon sand (See my blog for evidence) it does not help with the whole not yelling thing. Hang in there.

Cristin said...

Anna Anna Anna, it sounds like a normal mom week to me. It doesn't keep it from sucking, but I think it's normal...for me anyway.

My Bub is a big time thumb sucker and his dentist just told us last month about that appliance. He'll be getting his around 4 to hopefully keep him out of braces or at least cut back on the time he'll have braces.

(HUGS)

Kris said...

You are a great mom and you have some beautiful kids. Hope your week is going better by now. I'm so late with my blogging this week!

judy said...

Anna, keep on, keepin' on! You have a darling family. And you are a cute mom! We love you--and we can all relate to having a bad week! Kids are amazingly resilient and forgiving.

Judy

ManicMandee said...

I love you Anna. That was a pretty funny post. You are awesome.