Thursday, February 7, 2008

Why I Love California

As my loyal readers know I went back to California a week ago. It was so nice to get out of this weather we have been experiencing here in Utah, I like to call HELL (sorry for my offensive language.) I took a few pictures of some of my favorite things about Cali.


I love personalized license plates in California. When we lived there we had a couple, and as corney as they are I love them. I love trying to figure out the creative ones.



I love In-N-Out! I actually had to take a Sunday lunch brake to get my fix (bad girl.) We have a wannabe place here in Utah called Chadders, not as good.





There is nothing like having family around and what better way to be together than Family Birthday parties. This is the hardest thing for me about being in Utah. Evee, my cute niece turned 2 while we were visiting. Good times!




There's no place like Home. This picture that my Mom painted of Sherod has hung in our garage for probably 17 years. It put a smile on my face when I saw it again. What a face.





Bakersfield has some really good places to eat, and I tried to eat at as many as I could, explaining the extra weight I have put on. Elephant Bar is one of my Favs. Before I took this picture my kids were hanging form the elephants tusks. I swear I can't take those kids anywhere. Even my Mom was hiding her face.





I love that all the streets have names and that I know where they all are. That's home for you.



There are some things that I don't miss at all.

This was our old house we lived in Bakersfield. Driving by it while I was there made me so grateful for our beautiful home here in Utah. We were very blessed to move here when we did and be able to build the home we have. I love our house. Trent misses our Bakersfield trees :( The one in the front has a heart carved in it with T.B. + A.B. How sweet is that?



Unknown Fact: The city flower in Bakersfield is the tumbleweed. There were a couple days of very windy weather where you had to dodge tumbleweeds on the back roads. I took this picture on the way out to my Moms. Notice the tumbleweeds in the middle of the road and along the fence line.

I have to say as much as I love California I am happy we are here in Utah. The only thing that would make it perfect is if I had some of MY family here. Living in Bakersfield my whole life with family around the corner, it has been an adjustment (for me, not for Trent.) But we have made some very good friends here, and after all...This Is Home.

11 comments:

eekareek said...

I love the painting your mom did. It should be above the fireplace though, not out in the garage.

Memzy said...

I'm hoping that your mom will eventually bequeath that painting to me so I can properly display it. hehe
Your visit was really fun. I'm so glad you got to come and the kids got to play. Si claro, your new house is way better than your old one. I can't believe took a pic of it!

Emily said...

I'm glad you had a good time. I just wish I could have been there too:( Yay for In-N-Out, not so much for your old house! Your UT one is SOOO much better. Fun talking to you today.

Vegas Family said...

I love In-N-Out also. We have one close to my house her in Vegas now and I try to hit the drive thru at least once a week.

I can't decode the plate. Spell it out for me please.

You have to check out my blog and see this new weight loss item I found. It comes in handy when you have lots of great places to eat out and want to avoid the extra pounds.

I would be sad to leave those great trees also.


Glad you trip was great!

Unknown said...

There is no place like home. I haven't lived in Cali for 15 years but I go there and it just feels like normal.

Christina

Kris said...

Looks like it was so fun. I've never been to In-N-Out. I guess I need to try it. Those tumbleweeds like you drove in Pasco for the day. The wind has been blowing up to 60 mph and I've been dodging those things like crazy! It's fun to go back home and see all the familiar things!

Kati said...

Your blog looks GREAT Anna! Good job! And...you are not a bad mom. You are a great mom! Do you want to help with the Valentine party?
I still need a treat, story time and a game. Take your pick...
it is V-day at 2:15.
Let me know...
Kati

E said...

Wow, your blog looks amazing! I LOVE that painting of Sherod. Once, at a garage sell, Tom and Katie tried to sell a framed drawing of Katie that her high school boyfriend had drawn, and I regret not snatching it up to this day. Also, I have the best personalized license plate for you--I'll post it on my blog sometime.

jenn said...

What a great post! I loved the insight in to your life. Glad you had a great trip to Cali.

Anna D. said...

I feel your pain. I love to go home too. I've never got to live by my family so I don't really know what's that like. But I still miss it. On the other hand kinda glad not to be in everyone's drama... If you know what I mean and I know you do... Glad you had a great time and got out of Hell for awhile!
Anna D.

Markie23 said...

I have to admit those mid-70 temp's in Southern CA felt pretty wonderful last week. Those temperatures will be in Utah soon enough though, and in the mean time, I have some more skiing to do.

If you ever get REALLY desperate for some family, give your uncles a call. We're not great, but we're close and always ready to party.